Cook Children’s Medical Center has a terrific literacy program that focuses on reading to patients. Due to COVID-19, the children no longer have volunteers coming to their rooms to read books. Instead, they are asking volunteers to video themselves reading a book and send the clip to Marie Howell, Manager for Volunteer Services at Cook Children's.
The purpose of the Virtual Story Time Reader Volunteer is to provide distraction and entertainment through
readings that are broadcast to inpatient rooms via the internal station in the evenings
All you need to participate is:
Please take a selfie or have someone take your photo with your book and send to firstname.lastname@example.org We will upload clips and pictures across our social
1. Practice reading the story aloud a few times before you create the video. It does not have to be perfect, but you should simply show familiarity with the story.
2. Make sure your camera is positioned horizontally.
3. If someone else is recording you, make sure they rest their arm on a stable surface so the camera does not wobble.
4. If you are comfortable doing so, you are welcome to use voices for the characters.
5. Make sure to show the book cover and pictures to the camera.